March 18, 2008

Feed Your Soul


Holy. Effin. Shit.



Being female I not only have to make up for dumb-asses like her, but I have to deal with racial discriminations that are thrust upon me daily. However, I am not nearly as disturbed by the daughter, as I am disturbed by her parents. They are literally destroying and brainwashing this child. I have always held a deep respect for reading, learning, and writing. There's a lot of fucked up shit (like this video) in this world that makes me want to throw my hands up in disgust, and I want to totally give up on humanity. I truly hope that somewhere along the road that people like her get a serious wake-up call, and get hip to what my boy Billy Shakespeare is talking about.

Being the literary geek that I am, I see a strong connection with the aforementioned "dumb-ass" and a Shakespearean Sonnet. In sonnet 146, William Shakespeare addresses his soul concerning issues of mortality, of existence, and of the afterlife.

Poor soul, the centre of my sinful earth,
[ ] these rebel powers that thee array;
Why dost thou pine within and suffer dearth,
Painting thy outward walls so costly gay?
Why so large cost, having so short a lease,
Dost thou upon thy fading mansion spend?
Shall worms, inheritors of this excess,
Eat up thy charge? is this thy body's end?
Then soul, live thou upon thy servant's loss,
And let that pine to aggravate thy store;
Buy terms divine in selling hours of dross;
Within be fed, without be rich no more:
So shalt thou feed on Death, that feeds on men,
And Death once dead, there's no more dying then
.

Through juxtaposing the physical and spiritual realms as well as the transition between the two, he questions why his soul must endure “dearth," or lack of otherworldly substance, to attain earthly possessions. In the third quatrain, he explains that devotion to the soul and to the afterlife is more important than ephemeral things. He believes that human life, and the material possessions that come with it, are temporary because the soul transcends these things via death. Elsewhere in the sonnet, Shakespeare questions his soul's pre-disposal with outward beauty asking “why dost thy pine within and suffer when it could “buy terms divine in selling hours of dross." This tone of morality is emphasized when Shakespeare expresses the desire to maintain a morally upright soul that is ready to face the afterlife versus one focuses on things of a more transient nature. It is with this message that he encourages readers to looks past earthly embellishments, and nourish that which will last forever.

That being said, her parents should be sterilized.

No comments: